How to Add a New User in Hosting
Note: This is only relevant for users whose data is hosted by Blackbaud and who have the User Administration option, because they are a member of the REAdmin security group in Hosting.
Users who are members of the REAdmin security group in Hosting have the additional icon User Administration on the Blackbaud Application Hosting menu, when they log in.
For this example, we are working with The Raiser’s Edge and therefore the icon is User Administration – RE7.
Click on the User Administration – RE7 icon to list the current security groups and users:
Note: The Site ID and all but the “Test” user have been removed from this screenshot for security reasons.
The security groups are identified by the type Security Group – Global.
See What are the Blackbaud Application Hosting User Groups for more information on the rights for each of these groups.
- Each user with access to Blackbaud Application Hosting should have their user setup via User Administration.
- For security reasons, logins should not be shared with other users.
- There is no limit to the number of users who can be added in User Administration.
These are followed by the list of users.
To add a new user:
1. Right click on the User Administration screen and select New, User from the menu.
2. Enter the details of the new user on the New Object – User screen.
When entering the user name, this is the name that will be used to log into Blackbaud Application Hosting and it will be checked against all hosting users worldwide, not just users for your site, therefore it is important to ensure this is unique.
User logon names must match the following criteria –
- Must be at least 8 characters
- Must include at least 1 upper case character
- Must include at least 1 lower case character
- Must include at least 1 number OR special character – e.g., !@#$%
3. When the information on this screen is complete, the Next button is enabled.
4. On the next screen, enter the password for the new user.
If the user should not have to change the password when they first log in with the credentials you are setting up, then the “User must change password at next logon” can be unticked. When users log in to Blackbaud Application Hosting there is the “change password” option available at the bottom of that screen – if users are not allowed to change their own password, then tick the “User cannot change password” option.
We advise that the last 2 options are not ticked, as the data is hosted and accessed over the web then passwords will expire every 90 days for security reasons.
5. Click Next and you will receive a summary screen confirming the information that you have added, where you will click Finish to complete this process.
6. Once the new user has been added, the name will appear on the list of users in the User Administration screen. You should then decide which security group this new user should be a member of – we suggest that the user should at least be a member of the REUsers group, which will allow the user access to Raiser’s Edge.
7. Once you have decided which group the user should be a member of, right click on the particular group and select Properties from the menu.
8. Click on the Members tab and click Add at the bottom of the screen.
9. On the screen that pops up, enter the user name in the box that starts with “Enter the object names….” then click Check Names on the right to ensure the user is successfully found. When the name is correct, click OK to complete the process.
10. When complete, the User Administration screen can be closed and the user should now be able to log in to Hosting with the login name and password you have just set up, and The Raiser’s Edge icon should be present on the Blackbaud Application Hosting menu.
11. It is also advised that a new Raiser’s Edge user should be setup for new hosting users, so they can log into The Raiser’s Edge with their own credentials.
See How to add a new user in Raiser’s Edge for more information.
Learn more in these Knowledgebase solutions:
- How to add a new user in Blackbaud Application Hosting)
- How to add a Hosting user to a security group
- Blackbaud Application Hosting password requirements