What Exactly Does Polling for Import Mean to Me?
If you are using the Raiser’s Edge Sphere Connector to send transaction information to and from RE and Sphere, you have probably encountered the “Polling for Import” error and thought, “Great. What now?”
While this error used to appear more frequently (last summer, we improved the tool and have seen less Polling cases created), it may still pop up from time to time and prevent you from synching successfully. That being said, I am sure you have some outstanding questions about this complex status….
1. What does it mean to Poll for Import?
Polling for import is a step in a sync sequence. Out of the entire syncing process, “polling for import” takes the most time to complete because it involves waiting (polling) for Sphere files to come into The Raiser’s Edge.
2. Why does it poll for so long sometimes?
The processing time depends on data volume. It can take anywhere from minutes up to several hours, depending on the amount of data coming in and the number of customers who are doing the same thing at the same time.
3. Why does it seem to “fix” itself sometimes?
Most of the time, the sync just finishes in due time, depending on the network, database, and FTP conditions. If it does not resolve itself within 4 hours, you can create a case with Customer Support through Case Central.
4. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
- Yes! If the log tab reports “FTP connection status: Failed” for more than ten times in a row (30 min), you can Reset the sync to re-establish connection.
- If the log shows “FTP connection status: OK” but more than four hours have passed since it started polling for import, you can contact Sphere Support so our team can check the Sphere side of sync. Interruptions that require manual interference are rare, but they can occur after a network interruption or inconsistent XML data. Afterwe fix an issue on our side, you will need to start a sync or restart the service.For more information about what is needed in your support case, check out our Knowledgebase solution Connector stuck Polling for Import with message of “Checking FTP connection status: OK”.
- Better Performance with the Sphere Connector
- The Raiser’s Edge field missing in Blackbaud Sphere Connector Mapping
- New Features in The Raiser’s Edge Sphere Connector Version 18.104.22.168
- Common Errors When Updating The Raiser’s Edge Sphere Connector
- The Raiser’s Edge Sphere Connector Auto Synchronization Feature