Advisor/Homeroom/Homeroom Teacher Grayed Out
Have you tried to make changes to the Advisor, Homeroom or Homeroom teacher fields on a student record only to find that those fields are grayed out? If so, chances are today’s date is not within an academic year’s start and end dates or the student does not have a progression entry for the current year.
If today’s date does not fall within any academic year based on the date ranges defined for those years in Configuration, you can adjust your Business Rules to automatically look at next year’s student progression entry. Here’s how:
1. In Configuration, click Business Rules.
2. Highlight Students.
3. Select Next Year’s Student Progression Entry from the When Displaying and Updating Advisor, Homeroom Teacher, and Homeroom, and the Current Date is not Within an Academic Year drop-down.
If today’s date is within an academic year or the configuration option was already set to show next year’s progression entry, the student may not have a progression entry defined. To add a student progression entry for an existing student:
1. In Records, open the student record.
2. Select Student, Student Progression from the menu bar.
3. On the Student Progression screen, select entries for the School, Academic Year, and Grade Level. You can also select entries for Advisor, Homeroom Teacher, and Homeroom, if appropriate.
4. Click OK.
This question comes up most often when viewing new students. Information from the student’s progression entry won’t show on the Bio 1 tab until the first day of that academic year. Let’s say you have a student who is newly enrolled for the 2012-2013 academic year. In Configuration, the start date for the academic year is 8/15/2012. If today’s date is still within the previous academic year, 2011-2012, then no information will show on Bio 1 for this student because he doesn’t have a progression entry for 2011-2012, which is still considered the current year.
For more information, check out Advisor, Homeroom teacher, and
Homeroom fields are grayed out.