Adding an Optional Customer Cookie Agreement in The Patron Edge Online
As I discussed in EU Cookies and Blackbaud Software, The Patron Edge Online creates only one cookie. The Patron Edge Online stores the session ID in an encrypted client side cookie. The cookie is expressly for use when purchasing tickets and thus comes under the same rules of being “strictly necessary” for service “explicitly requested” by the user. So there should be no need to disclose this info. The cookie is auto deleted as soon as the person completes the purchase or closes the browser.
I have been asked for a way of seeking customer agreement as a contingency if a venue decides to still seek that approval from visitors. There are numerous ways to do this – here is a simple one:
1. Drop yesno.asp in your PEOsite folder.
2. Open with a text editor and change the red parts below to suit. The long text part is the message that will be presented to customers, OK will advance them to book tickets, and cancel will forward them to a page of your choice.
var answer = confirm (“This WebSite uses an encrypted first party cookie to enhance your shopping experience , it is not used for analytics nor to store personal information of any kind.The cookie is also deleted when you checkout or close your browser. Please press OK to continue booking or press cancel to be forwarded to our contact page where you will find information on contacting the box office.“)
window.location = “http://pecomp/PEO/aboutus.asp”
Now that you have your message and redirect in place, add it to your Patron Edge Online site:
1. Open PEO admin, choose content, site design, interfaces and highlight your default interface.
2. Press ‘view interface screens’, scroll down to default.asp, and double click on it.
3. Add the yesno.asp as an include before:
Thats it! As always it is important that this is fully tested in a test environment. I have tested in-house on IE 8/9, Firefox and Chrome without issue.
As advised, this is not necessary under the incoming cookie laws but for clients that want the option it will work well.
Note: Just because The Patron Edge Online passes the new cookie laws, this does not mean your Patron Edge Online site does!
I cannot comment on any analytics or in house/3rd party add-ons you may be running that may fall foul of the incoming rules.
Read The EU Cookie Law: A guide to compliance for more advice and tools to scan your site.